It appears I'm not the only person having RS6 woes. A friend who bought a brand new 2013 C7 RS6 is experiencing severe throttle or gear change lag at low speed.
His email to Audi:
I am writing to register my dissatisfaction on a recent answer to a complaint about the severe throttle or gear change lag at low speed after deceleration, particularly after coming into a roundabout then trying to accelerate, it becomes dangerous, as at first nothing happens then depending on your timing or increase in throttle all hell can break loose.
Being told this is a high performance car this is the nature of the beast.
I was also told that there was nothing could be done, I don’t think so.
I don’t need to explain that this is not a acceptable answer for the value of the car.
The 4.0 TFSI engine twin-turbocharged V8 that was co-developed with Bentley, does the Bentley have the same problem?
If you can’t give me a satisfactory fix to this problem please escalate this to someone who can.
Audi's response is that it's a known software problem and they won't fix it unless enough people complain about it. When he asked how many were sold and who bought them the reply was 'some' and only one other person in Brisbane is complaining. When asked how the aftermarket tuners know about the problem and how they have fixed it they responded with "no warranty" if he pays to get it done.
This is looking like the Australian C5 RS6 DRC fiasco all over again. For vehicles that cost around $250,000AU you would expect better support.
If you or someone you know is also having these problems hit the contact button up the top and drop me an email with your contact information. Hopefully with enough people Audi might listen.
Another week away. This time getting the front passenger rim fixed and the two buckled rims fixed. Dropped the RS6 down at Keith 4 Wheels on the Monday. I'm not sure who they got to do the work but everything looks ok at the moment. Total cost of the buckle repair was $272.70. The scratch and dent repair was on the house.
The RS6 has been quite a disappointing and expensive experience for my first euro car. There are however sometimes, like now, where everything just seems to be working and when you take a moment to step back and just look at it you realise that it is quite a nice car.
I swear this car is cursed. I have had nothing but issue after issue as soon as I let anyone touch it. This time it was the front passenger wheel which was fastened to the car by hand tightened wheel bolts. Needless to say that isn't the sort of oversight I want while I'm driving down the motorway at high speeds.
After taking a sharp right hand corner the front passenger side started to emit a thumping sound. Upon closer inspection I found that all the wheel bolts on the front passenger side were loose. I also then discovered that they had damaged the wheel in a couple of places.
They were very apologetic and offered to repair the rim for me. I will get it booked in again early next year to get all 3 rims fixed. Lets hope this doesn't turn into another Audi fiasco.
It was finally time to say goodbye to the Nankangs that I bought with the RS6. I went down to Keith 4 Wheels and picked up a set of Falken 245/35R19 93Y FK453's.
A little bit narrower than the 255's I had on beforehand but the grip level is phenomenal compared to the Nankangs. I also found out, as I suspected for a while, that I have two buckled rims. I will try and get it booked in next week to get these looked at. The high quality Brisbane roads strike again.
Total for the Falkens were $340 a corner totalling $1360.
A week ago I decided it would be a great idea to run the front passenger rim into a gutter.
Needless to say I wasn't overly happy with myself.
I emailed the guys at Alloy Doctor - http://www.alloydoctor.com.au/ and was had a quote back within an hour. $190 to get it fixed.
Mobile service, friendly guys and it was all over in a coulple of hours. I'm very happy with their work.
Took the RS6 back down to Harding Performance on the 11th to have a look at the ECU/TCU communication issues.
Plugging their VCDS into the car revealed codes which it's never had before -
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - Intermittent
01315 - Transmission Control Module
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
Report back from HP was that they "removed the trans ECU and inspected the loom and connector and all was fine. They also double checked the solder connections and there we no visible signs of a bridge or a dry joint. Ran over the connections again with the soldering iron and ensured they were all ok. Reinstalled into the car and test drove without any problems."
It's been back on the road for a week or so now and it has not kicked any of the fault codes. Here's hoping that it's fixed.